I live in the South since more than 2 years now and I can tell you that the favorite drink of Southern people around here is sweet tea by far ! Sometimes you even have the impression that sweet tea equal water ! But the secret of a real good home made southern sweet tea is an art that could be mastered with the good recipe ! Here it is !
- 6 small tea bags, American Classic Tea (Charleston tea plantation tea) preferred but black tea is also an option
- 3/4-1 cup sugar, to taste
- lemon or peach wedges, for garnish
- Place tea bags in a 3 1/2-quart pitcher.
- Bring three cups of water to a rolling boil.
- Add sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Pour over tea bags, cover, and let steep for an hour or so.
- Remove the tea bags.
- Add water to dilute, to roughly 3/4 full on your pitcher.
- Pour over ice, squeeze in some lemon or add peach wedges, and enjoy!
Just a few more cultural words : the Charleston tea plantation in Wadmalaw Island is the only working tea plantation in the United States, so yes, Charleston loves definitely its sweet tea !